Monday, July 18, 2016

Who Says Cats and Plants Can't Get Along?


I have cats....two of them. I have always heard that if you have cats, you can't have plants. Over a year ago, I decided to challenge that notion. Over time, one plant turned into many. I started with a pothos, whichI hung from the ceiling over my bed in a plant hanger that I made myself from macrame cording. The hanging plant seemed like a perfect solution to keep it away from the cats. Once I realized that the cats could live in harmony with even plants that were not necessarily safe for them to consume, I decided to try my hand at other plants. Mostly, I have easy to grow houseplants which don't require a lot of light or attention. I also have some succulents. Bringing more plants into the Tiny House meant finding more places to put them that the cats could not get to them. Several of my plants hang from the ceiling- which is a great way to keep them from the cats and display them. You have to keep them away from heating/AC vents, and watering and care necessitates a step ladder, but it definitely works!

 The other solution that I have come to rely on for safe plant placement is shelving. I have plants on the top of bookcases, as well as upper shelves, and I also have mounted shelves high on one wall for even more shelf space. The other way that I have found to keep the plants away from the cats is to mount some sort of container directly to a wall, as I have done in my bedroom. I have mounted my planter quite high because of artwork that was already in place, but these could be mounted much lower depending on your cat's level of curiosity and ability to climb.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed! Most of your plants are "up". I would never remember to water them. They would all die at my house, if it doesn't bark or meow it wont survive. Love it!

    ReplyDelete