Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Natural Weed Abatement

Along with my Tiny House, I have a tiny garden. Half of my garden area is covered with a concrete slab. There is a tiny border of planter space next to the fence on two sides of this concrete slab. The other half of the garden area is just.....dirt. I live in the desert, so dirt is really the norm here. Even though it is still winter, I have been preparing my little garden area to be of full use as soon as we hit sunny days. We are already having sunny afternoons, and I can't wait to use my garden space. Last year, the neighbor right behind me (who shares the fence) had a very large and aggressive dog which make it impossible to use my outdoor space. This year, I plan to give it full use! 

Even though I don't have anything  planted in the ground out there, weeds have been a big issue for me. My cats are inside cats, but when I am in the garden they like to come with me. I have been trying to tame the weeds with just a hoe, but recent rain has made them grow like crazy and I can't get to all of them with my tool. I did some investigating into weed control products, and decided to go with an organic herbicide from Eco-Smart. I wasn't sure what to expect from this product, but I decided it was worth a try.

First off, the smell was quite pleasant. It was strong, for sure, but I quite enjoy the Eucalyptus order. It was easy to use. There was no dripping from the spray hose, or any mess involved. The instructions say to use on a sunny day, and after checking up I can see why. Any of the weeds I sprayed that were in an area which gets direct light were decimated. You can see from the photo above that they almost look beached out from the sun's reaction with the herbicide. The weeds which were in shady areas still reacted to the spray, but not in as extreme a way. I had just done the planters last time, so I hit the rest of the yard today. If your weeds lie in a sunny area, one spray will probably be all you will need. Weeds in the shade may need a second application, but for me having a safe and pleasant smelling product is worth using twice. I will definitely be keeping this in stock at Chateau du Jour!

No comments:

Post a Comment